Tuesday, February 23, 2016

A short prate (Can there be such a thing?) --- What is NORMAL?

Normal: Conforming to a standard; usual, typical, or expected.

This is the definition of "normal" but whose standard? whose expectation?  We all have different standards and expectations so really ... is there such a thing as NORMAL?  

My son, very upset the other day, exclaimed, "Why can't people just be NORMAL?"  I looked at him and had no idea what he meant.  So, when faced with such a quandary, I asked, "What do you mean?" He explained that (to him) normal is everyone is nice, without judgement, and accepts people the way they are.  I smiled and I thought, "Wouldn't that be wonderful!?"  I liked my son's definition of normal.  It sat in my lap perfectly and made me feel good.  

I remember seeing a t-shirt or bumper sticker or whatever it was that said, "Why be normal?"  When I first saw it, I agreed.  Why would anyone want to be like EVERYONE else? However, if we used my son's definition, then why wouldn't you want to be normal?  My son has labels and "contingencies" and IEP's so by the definition he is not what might be considered normal.  I have none of those things and I believe it would be a really hard sell to find anyone who knows me, really anyone who has met me, use the word "normal" to describe me! So really, when it comes to normal in the traditional dictionary society accepting definition - you can have it. Though if I were going to use my son's feelings on what is normal then I say, "We should ALL strive to be normal!"  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.
LOVE LOTS;SMILE OFTEN
#LLSO